Transfer a vehicle title in North Carolina
How to change vehicle ownership in this state easily
What you need to know about how to transfer a vehicle title in North Carolina:
- Must have a valid North Carolina Driver License or other North Carolina identification.
- If you are a non-resident of the state of North Carolina, you will need to bring 1 additional document that proves one of the following:
- Military active duty stationed in NC
- College enrollment in a NC school
- Vehicle garaged in NC for a minimum of 6 months each year
- Court-ordered sale of a vehicle;
- Vehicle is co-owned
- Registration for a motor home
- Documented medical condition
- If there are co-owners to be recorded on a title, all signatures on required documents must be notarized and accompanied by a black and white copy of the alternate owner’s valid Driver License/ID, or a Power of Attorney must be provided to sign for the co-owners.
- Estimatedty taxes for the vehicle you are attempting to register must be paid.
- There are minimum liability insurance requirements for private passenger vehicles.
- How to change vehicle ownership if the vehicle is purchased from an individual. Please submit the following:
- Vehicle Title Notarization
- Lien Release completed if any liens are shown on vehicle's title
- Title Application ( MVR-1 ); declare all liens, Notarization Required
- Odometer Disclosure Statement ( MVR-180 ); must be completed if the vehicle is less than 10 years old
- Damage Disclosure Statement ( MVR-181 )
- Declaration of Eligible Risk ( MVR-615 )
Registering your vehicle in North Carolina has never been easier
Get everything you need—fully completed—before you step foot inside of your local department of motor vehicles, including:
- Bill of Sale
- Estimated tax calculation for the vehicle purchased
- State forms completed with data provided
- Fully customized for the state of North Carolina and your unique situation
This service is designed to get you in and out of your motor vehicles department with everything you need to make title transfer and vehicle registration as seamless as possible.Learn More
Information provided about a particular state is based on data from the applicable state and local department of motor vehicles. The summary information provided is not complete information and is provided for reference purposes only. AutoTrader does not guarantee the accuracy or reliability of this information. To obtain additional information, please register for a service package or consult the DMV in your state.