How to transfer vehicle ownership in Oklahoma
Perform a vehicle title transfer in this state easily
What you need to know about how to transfer vehicle ownership in Oklahoma:
- Titles are required to be applied for within 30 days of obtaining ownership.
- Titles may be applied for through the Motor Vehicle Division, or at any of the over 300 motor license agencies (tag agencies) located throughout the state.
- Once all requirements for title issuance have been met and the transaction entered, title certificates are generated at a central location and mailed out to the record owner (not the lien holder, if any) on the second business day following entry of the transaction.
- Upon the assignment of ownership of a vehicle (boats/outboard motors are excluded) currently titled in Oklahoma, the seller may notify the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC) of the assignment by completing and submitting to any motor license agency a Notice of Transfer of Ownership of a Vehicle (Form 773) and paying a filing fee. This is an optional procedure, intended only to notify OTC of the transfer of vehicle ownership.
- A Notice of Transfer of Ownership of a vehicle must include the VIN of the vehicle, license plate number, full name and address of the seller and buyer, date of ownership assignment and signature of seller.
- No registration will be allowed until a vehicle transfer title is issued.
- Record ownership of the vehicle will remain unchanged until a vehicle title transfer is completed.
Registering your vehicle in Oklahoma has never been easier
Get everything you need—fully completed—before you step foot inside of your local department of motor vehicles, including:
- Bill of Sale
- Estimated tax calculation for the vehicle purchased
- State forms completed with data provided
- Fully customized for the state of Oklahoma and your unique situation
This service is designed to get you in and out of your motor vehicles department with everything you need to make title transfer and vehicle registration as seamless as possible.Learn More
Information provided about a particular state is based on data from the applicable state and local department of motor vehicles. The summary information provided is not complete information and is provided for reference purposes only. AutoTrader does not guarantee the accuracy or reliability of this information. To obtain additional information, please register for a service package or consult the DMV in your state.