How to Transfer Vehicle Ownership in Georgia
What you need to know about switching automobile ownership in this state
Assuming the vehicle is already titled in Georgia, the following fees and forms are required to transfer vehicle ownership:
- Vehicles purchased on or after March 1, 2013 and titled in this state will be exempt from sales and use tax and the annual ad valorem tax. Instead, these vehicles will be subject to a new, one — time title ad valorem tax that is based on the value of the vehicle.
- A completed and signed Form MV — 1 Title/Tag Application is required.
- If the vehicle is financed, enter the lien or security interest holder's name, address and MVD assigned customer number , if known, in the spaces provided.
- An Emission Inspection Certificate is required , if applicable.
- An original valid Georgia title properly assigned to you is needed.
- All recorded liens and/or security interests against the previous owner must be released in the spaces provided on the title.
- Georgia liability insurance is required.
- All necessary tag and title fees are required.
Note: Every Georgia owner, other than a licensed dealer, must obtain a title in their name for the vehicle before switching automobile ownership, when the vehicle requires a Georgia title. You have thirty (30) days from the purchase or transfer of vehicle ownership date to register and obtain a tag or to transfer your existing valid Georgia tag, from a vehicle you no longer own, to the new vehicle.
Registering your vehicle in Georgia has never been easier
Get the paperwork you need — completed — before you step foot inside of your local department of motor vehicles including:
- Bill of Sale
- Estimated tax calculation for the vehicle purchased
- State forms for title transfer and vehicle registration
- Customized for the state of Georgia
This service is designed to get you in and out of your motor vehicles department more easily by providing you information and forms you need to help make the title transfer and vehicle registration as seamless as possible.Learn More
Information provided about a particular state is based on data from the applicable state and local department of motor vehicles. The summary information provided is not complete information and is provided for reference purposes only. AutoTrader does not guarantee the accuracy or reliability of this information. To obtain additional information, please register for a service package or consult the DMV in your state.