How to transfer a vehicle title in South Carolina
Switching vehicle ownership in this state made easy
What you need to know about how to transfer a vehicle title in South Carolina:
- When you are switching vehicle ownership and purchase a new or used vehicle in South Carolina, you may either purchase a new plate for your vehicle or transfer a plate from a vehicle you already own. You have 45 days to title and register your vehicle from the date of purchase.
- You must have the following to purchase a new plate and title for a newly purchased vehicle:
- Title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin—If you have purchased a used vehicle, you must have the title of the vehicle and the previous owner of the vehicle must have signed the title over to you.
- If the title was issued prior to June 19, 1989, you must also submit a Bill of Sale.
- If you are attempting to transfer a vehicle title on a new vehicle, you must have the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin.
- Lien Information—If there is a lien on your vehicle, you must provide the name and address of the lien holder and the date of the lien.
- Liability Insurance information—You must provide the name of your automobile liability insurance company, not the name of the agent.
- Acceptable personal identification
- Completed Form 400, Application for Certificate of Title/Registration—To complete the form, you must have your vehicle odometer mileage reading and any current lien information.
- Original Paid Vehicle Estimatedty Tax Receipt—Before you can register your vehicle in South Carolina, you must first pay the vehicle property taxes that are required in the county in which you reside.
- Casual Sales Tax—Sales tax must be paid when you register a newly purchased vehicle in South Carolina.
- Title and Registration Fees—There is a fee for the title plus registration fees, depending on the type of vehicle and license plate you purchase. If you would like to expedite the title process and receive your title within three business days, you must pay an additional expedited title fee.
Registering your vehicle in South Carolina has never been easier
Get everything you need—fully completed—before you step foot inside of your local department of motor vehicles, including:
- Bill of Sale
- Estimated tax calculation for the vehicle purchased
- State forms completed with data provided
- Fully customized for the state of South Carolina and your unique situation
This service is designed to get you in and out of your motor vehicles department with everything you need to make title transfer and vehicle registration as seamless as possible.Learn More
Information provided about a particular state is based on data from the applicable state and local department of motor vehicles. The summary information provided is not complete information and is provided for reference purposes only. AutoTrader does not guarantee the accuracy or reliability of this information. To obtain additional information, please register for a service package or consult the DMV in your state.