How to transfer a vehicle title in South Dakota
Change vehicle ownership in this state without frustration
What you need to know about how to transfer a vehicle title in South Dakota:
- When you change vehicle ownership, you must complete an Application for Motor Vehicle Title and Registration. The application must be signed by the record owner(s) or by an authorized agent for the record owner(s). If the application is signed by an authorized agent, a power of attorney document must be attached to verify the appointment.
- If the vehicle was purchased out-of-state, a bill of sale, purchase order or sales contract must be attached. If the dealer price certification on the application for title (MV-608) is not complete and the applicant purchased the vehicle from a South Dakota dealer, a purchase order must be attached.
- Purchase price on a new vehicle with no trade-in is the total consideration whether received in money or otherwise. Total consideration must include cash down payments, cash rebates, money and any other item given in consideration of the vehicle. Discounts are allowed, but a purchase agreement is required to substantiate the discount.
- Motor vehicle titling and registration fees are done through your local county treasurer’s office.
Registering your vehicle in South Dakota has never been easier
Get everything you need—fully completed—before you step foot inside of your local department of motor vehicles, including:
- Bill of Sale
- Estimated tax calculation for the vehicle purchased
- State forms completed with data provided
- Fully customized for the state of South Dakota and your unique situation
This service is designed to get you in and out of your motor vehicles department with everything you need to make title transfer and vehicle registration as seamless as possible.Learn More
Information provided about a particular state is based on data from the applicable state and local department of motor vehicles. The summary information provided is not complete information and is provided for reference purposes only. AutoTrader does not guarantee the accuracy or reliability of this information. To obtain additional information, please register for a service package or consult the DMV in your state.