Changing vehicle ownership in Kentucky

How to change automobile ownership in this state

What you need to know about changing vehicle ownership in Kentucky:

  • Kentucky is a state where you can change automobile ownership with “speed titles.” You may apply for a speed title at your local County Clerk's Office, but not at the Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing in Frankfort. A speed title allows you to either have it mailed to you the following business day or available for pick up on the second business day after application.
  • A speed title cannot be executed on the following: Boats, Debtor in Possession, Towing & Storage, Affidavit or Ownership or Bill of Sale, Correction, Restored Title, Out — of — Country, Court Order, KY ID, Salvage title from "junk or rebuildable", or Kit vehicle.
  • Duplicate Titles: If you have misplaced your title, you can apply for a duplicate at your County Clerk's Office. Duplicate titles are usually printed and mailed out the following business day. These cannot be picked up in Frankfort.
  • Salvage/Rebuilt Titles: Complete Form #TC96 — 215 [PDF — 90KB] Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Assembled from Wrecked or Salvaged Motor Vehicles.

Registering your vehicle in Kentucky has never been easier

Get everything you need—fully completed—before you step foot inside of your local department of motor vehicles, including:

  • Bill of Sale
  • Estimated tax calculation for the vehicle purchased
  • State forms completed with data provided
  • Fully customized for the state of Kentucky and your unique situation

This service is designed to get you in and out of your motor vehicles department with everything you need to make title transfer and vehicle registration as seamless as possible.

Learn More

Information provided about a particular state is based on data from the applicable state and local department of motor vehicles. The summary information provided is not complete information and is provided for reference purposes only. AutoTrader does not guarantee the accuracy or reliability of this information. To obtain additional information, please register for a service package or consult the DMV in your state.