Vehicle title transfer in Texas
A guide to changing vehicle ownership in this state
What you need to know to perform a vehicle title transfer in Texas:
- If changing vehicle ownership and buying from an individual, have the seller accompany you to the county tax office. Before submitting the title application, a tax office representative can tell you if the title being signed over to you is correct and if it has any salvage or legal issues. You can also perform a Title Check to see if the title of the vehicle you are thinking about buying has any issues impacting its value.
- In addition to the title, ask the seller to provide you with the signed vehicle title application, Form 130-U, and any other supporting documents, such as a release of lien or power of attorney.
- Keep a written record that includes the name and address of the seller, date of sale and vehicle information, including the VIN.
- Failure to title a vehicle within 30 days from the date of sale may result in delinquent transfer penalties.
- You must provide proof of liability insurance when you title and register your vehicle. If you do not provide proof of insurance, you may apply for ‘title only’ using Form VTR-131, Application for Title Only.
- Texas DMV collects vehicle color information. Please refer to the Color Chart when completing a vehicle title application.
- If buying from an individual, a motor vehicle sales tax on either the purchase price or standard presumptive value (whichever is the highest value), must be paid when the vehicle is titled. The standard title, registration and local fees are also due.
Registering your vehicle in Texas has never been easier
Get everything you need—fully completed—before you step foot inside of your local department of motor vehicles, including:
- Bill of Sale
- Estimated tax calculation for the vehicle purchased
- State forms completed with data provided
- Fully customized for the state of Texas and your unique situation
This service is designed to get you in and out of your motor vehicles department with everything you need to make title transfer and vehicle registration as seamless as possible.Learn More
Information provided about a particular state is based on data from the applicable state and local department of motor vehicles. The summary information provided is not complete information and is provided for reference purposes only. AutoTrader does not guarantee the accuracy or reliability of this information. To obtain additional information, please register for a service package or consult the DMV in your state.